Tuesday 22 November 2011

HAVE A DRINK TO THAT...

I think a guy who's had just the right amount of booze can sing the blues a hell of a lot better than a guy who is stone sober.
-Charlie Rich

Today I decided to dwell on a totally random topic. I pride myself on the fact that I can make shit read like works from Hemmingway. The topic is booze.
Do you love booze? The answer to that will most probably be no due to the fact that you fear being referred to as a boozer. No one here cares how much you drink because as long as it doesn't affect me directly, I'm all for it.
Most people love booze. The sour taste at the end of every sip, the cool touch of the bottle on your lip and the strong sense of accomplishement after putting down five bottles and still standing tall.
But do you know what people like most about alcohol? People like, no, they love, the fact that alcohol gives them the freedom to act like total asses even if for a few hours.
Think about it, who are some of the heaviest drinkers? Lawyers, big shot business tycoons and round-the-clock doctors. They use alcohol as a substitute for the missed moments to remember i.e. one bottle for my daughter's ballet performance (that I missed), one bottle for my wife's delivery (that I missed) and one bottle for the big game (that I missed). And the list goes on and on.
In my country (Kenya), people spend the weekend (which begins on Friday at 6pm here) taking down booze and barbeque (which we locally refer to as "chama choma"). This country os not a 24hour economy so people spend the weekend like it's their last. Women head for clubs and drop to give a lot more that fifty, men head out to the nearest pubs and for a heated argument on politics and the hot gymnastics girls and the university students take booze to their dorms and hope to get the girl next door high as fuck so as to fuck. The legal drinking age is 18 here so it's all good (yeah, sucks to be you American teenagers). What is the most common sight in Kenya on the weekends? A man with a gut popping out harder than Sara Jay's bust with a bottle of Tusker (our beer since 1922) in hand.
All that in the name of a good weekend. You know what they say, "drink one and you're in control, drink ten and you're knocked out, drink fifty and you're a god". In all honesty, no one says that but I'd like to hope that they will from now on.
"Cheers to the freakin' weekend,"
"Yeah, I'll have a drink to that,"
"But it's not yet the weekend,"
"Who cares? I like booze,"
"Fair enough. Get me one too."

No comments:

Post a Comment