Sunday 13 November 2011

JOHN CENA AND CHEERLEADERS

By perseverance the snail reached the ark.
-Charles Spurgeon

Like every boy in the world, I had always been a fan a the WWE even when it was still the WWF. I watched it because I loved muscular men showing just how masculine they were by throwing down in front of thousands of live viewers and millions of television viewers. After a while, however, I got bored. No longer did the carnage of Kane and the Undertaker entertain me. I had moved on to greater things like Gossip Girl and 90210.
Sometime in 2009 and begun watching wrestling again. I did so because my father and brothers were devote fans. It was a lot better than when I had stopped watching it and the wrestlers were so much more resilient. My favourite wrestler was Randy Orton. He was fast, cunning and simply highly skilled. Who didn't love the RKO? My worst wrestler was John Cena. That was not because he was a bad wrestler but because he was a righteous ass. I hated that about him. Hustle, loyalty and respect, really?! I would have liked him better if he just fought and shut the fuck up.
But then I started watching the pay-per-view events and I learned something about John Cena that no other wrestler had on them; perseverance.
John Cena was known throughout the WWE universe as a man who could take punishment just as much as he could deal it. Nothing could stand in the way of that man. Then I changed sides. No longer was Randy Orton my favourite superstar but it was John Cena.
What is perseverance? The power to keep on running for that extra mile on a treadmill, the power to keep on studying for that math test even if the chances that you'll pass are below average.
John Cena made me want to persevere. This was a man who had been knocked down with sledge hammers and somehow found a way to keep on fighting.
I wanted to be that guy. The guy who could stand up to a bully who had just beat me down. But the thing is that not everyone has it in them. I could try to be that guy but perseverance on its own failed to go a long way.
What you needed to make it all worth it was motivation. Even John Cena needed the cheering from the crowd to help him get back in his feet. They were his cheerleaders. The cheering that made him know that staying down would be disappointing those who stood up for him.

A combination of motivation and perseverance could make it through the New York marathon without breaking a sweat.

Next time that bully pins you to the ground, push back up and maybe you'll be on your way to becoming just like John Cena.

No comments:

Post a Comment